1.19.2009

Don't be alarmed

So this weekend I started back taking the inner office mail between the Birmingham and Jasper offices. Something I have done for awhile, took a break from after having Olivia and thought I wouldn't do it again. It's just kind of annoying and it gets old. They do give me extra money for taking the mail, but it's not enough. It's never enough. I am sure they would beg to differ.

A couple of reason why I hate taking the mail:

People would always ask, "was this check in the mail?" "Do you know if this invoice was in the mail?" "We can't find a check that was in the mail, did you see it?" "Are you taking the mail today?" Or how about I am taking a shower Tuesday morning (in the hospital, yes ONE day after having Olivia) and BH (my boss) sends me a text a asking me if I remember seeing a check that would've went to Jasper on Friday? Heck No, I didn't see it and further more I wouldn't remember if I had! I JUST had a BABY!!! Don't ask me if I remember if something was in the mail from Friday!

I am a simple carrier!!! I pick up/ drop off. I don't inspect the mail and I don't even disperse it!! Don't ask me if something was in there because I don't look. If they put it in the mail, then it will be in the envelope, if they didn't, well then it's just not there! Sorry for the rant, but it's extremely annoying. So I am off on Fridays so I pick up the Jasper mail sometime late Friday afternoon or during the weekend.

So this weekend was my first time starting back. I decided I would pick up Jasper's mail Sunday afternoon on my way to church. I get there unlock the door and put the code in the alarm and it doesn't work, I do it again and it doesn't work. I start to worry...you only have so many seconds and chances to put in the code (one which is very easy to remember. It's written inside the box where the buttons are and it's also the PO number.) I put the code in one more time thinking it will magically be right. Well....I was WRONG!!! The ALARM goes off!! GREAT!!!

My heart was beating out of my chest like I had done something wrong. So, I started thinking what should I do? I had no ones number to call. I had the owners number in my cell and I called him. (I didn't want to, but I did) of course, he didn't answer. I called my boss and she didn't answer. I left her a VM to call me back ASAP ( she calls me back 1 hour later...hey, thanks for the help!) So, I wait and wait for the Police or somebody to come, and no one is coming!?! I mean if I was a robber I would've been long gone!! I didn't know what else to do so I called 911 because I couldn't think of the Police Department's number. I told her the situation and she connected me to the PD, but for some reason I hung up. I think it was because I saw the fire department coming down the street. So I waved them down. (Now our office is across the street from the fire department and two blocks over from the police department.) You would think it wouldn't take 10 minutes to come to our office. I tell the firemen my situation they get out and we walk in the building messing with the alarm system and it finally just goes off. I guess it just timed out or something. ??? I make them wait with me while I reset the alarm and lock the door to make sure it doesn't go off again or something. Luckily nothing happened. Got back in the car with the mail (oh yeah and Olivia) and then the Police officer pulls up.....thanks, but I don't need your help now! Come to find out they changed the code and forgot to tell me.



What a wonderful way to start off something I dread doing!

1 comment:

Charlene said...

How did you reset it without knowing the new alarm? After you told me this story yesterday, I started thinking about how no one responded...you know someone at the fire station HAD to hear it. And aren't those alarms supposed to signal the police to come investigate?